Sunday, February 24, 2013

Doggie Dry Shampoo Day


I am going to venture slightly away from my normal topics to bring you a "pet friendly" post.  We have a beautiful mixed "mutt" named Molly. Molly is pretty low key and loves to hang out in my bedroom.  Now first let me say she is sweet and very well behaved, but I have an ultra sensitive nose and Molly, Well...Molly tends to smell a bit doggy at times.  This doggy smell forces me to shoo her out of my bedroom.  A few weeks ago I read in one my  "do it yourself" home recipe books a recipe for Dry shampoo for dogs....Hmmm is this possible???  Could I make Molly smell fresh smelling ...thus granting her a pardon???   I know that my girls and I have had great success with dry shampoo recipes for ourselves, so why not give it a go.   I took several recipes and created my own...What's in it??  it is .....
Dry Shampoo for Doggie

1 Cup Quaker Oats
1/2 cup Corn starch
1/2 cup baking soda
2-3 drops of Ea. Essential oil ..Tea Tree, Lemongrass, Lavender,  Rosemary


In a food processor or mini processor...process the oats until fine,   Add the cornstarch, baking soda and essential oils... process till all are combined.   Put into a cheese shaker (I found one at the dollar store)...  Next liberally sprinkle over the pup ... taking care not to get near eyes.  We generously sprinkled her tummy, back, tail, etc...Gently rub the "shampoo" into the fur, taking several minutes to work the mixture in.   Then after letting the shampoo sit for several minutes brush through puppy's fur.  ( Molly was shedding as well so we accumulated enough fur to build another dog ..hahaha)  The essential oils work to make puppy smell good while having a purpose...Tea tree treats any hot spots,and repelling pests, lemongrass works at repelling pests, Lavender helps relax puppy (not that Molly needs to relax...hahaha) and Rosemary does the same as the others, plus smells really nice.   After brushing through Molly we went ahead and sprinkled the dry shampoo on her bedding as well. Wait a few minutes and Vacuum up ...Now the bedding is smelling just as fresh :).  In fact you can safely do this process in your carpet room...because this can double as a natural carpet deodorizer I am sure
I will say Molly was quite happy for the process to be over as she HATES being brushed or bathed...but she was quite happy with the treats that she was rewarded after the process was over.    She looked so pretty and smelled just like as my youngest son said..."A Pez candy"  hahahaha.  We are both happy, she avoided an actual bath involving water and my nose can rest at ease, because the doggie odor is GONE!!!  Bonus her fur looks fresh and fluffy :)...What a pretty girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment