Monday, September 12, 2011

Time to make the doughnuts!

Sometimes the urge to create something hits me HARD! This season is doughnuts!!! (2 years ago it was sourdough EVERYTHING...It took a gallon glass jar to hold all my starter) I found a recipe in a recipe club that I am in that sounded like it just had to be made! It was a recipe from 1957 Robin Hood Flour cookbook. The story with it was so sweet, I just had to give the recipe a go. The lady who posted it was the daughter of woman who would do up to 100 dozen a week of these tasty treats for friends and neighbors. They would bring her bags of flour on doughnut making day. OOOO OOO this sounds like something I want to do!!! First thing, acquire a deep fryer, I mean they are awesome in themselves. Exact temps, fryer baskets.... and I knew exactly where to find the best one!! The cadillac of deep fryers! My very dear friend who is as much of a kitchen quest nut as I am owns one of these babies for frying catfish . After promising delightful treats and signing a contract in blood promising her my bowl lift Kitchen aid if I failed to take care of it (hahahahaha...just kidding) I loaded the "sweet" machine into my van and hurried home to begin!
Following the multi step directions, made so much easier with my dough hook ( I had yet to use) I let the dough rise to double and rolled it out. My biscuit cutter worked perfectly for the circle and an old prescription bottle makes great doughnut holes. Let them raise again, 45 minutes (see photo above) and then let the fun begin.

This is the fun part!!! Carefully lifting the raised doughnut into the basket and submerge into the hot oil... Now I know I know...You can't make good doughnuts without lard or solid shortening you say... Well I beg to differ after a little research I discovered Canola oil is another good choice. (Plus if I wanted to use the fryer I had to follow the rules :) ) ...they took such a short time and VIOLA...
GOLDEN BROWN!!! and ready to be dipped while warm in the fresh glaze, full of vanilla and powdered sugar!!!! I had the perfect glazer too, My teenager daughter, who got this part down to a science! She was good at using the flyswatter to swat away the eager fingers that couldn't wait for them to be ready. (BACK OFF GRAMMY...hahahaha)
SEE!!! Aren't they pretty. Now I will admit, they were much better fresh, but this recipe was a little bit "tough". It could be something I did wrong...who knows, but now my quest is not finished until I achieve semi perfection. However tough or not...the three dozen doughnuts disappeared quickly in this zoo and were voted by my seven year old as the best doughnuts ever!! Did my friend who loaned me the equipment get her doughnuts....OOOPS!, Guess I gotta make some more. Next attempt the Krispy Kreme knock off recipe!!! It has HIGH ratings...we shall see!!
Now I had all this oil to use up.... Saturday dinner was healthy?..... fresh french fries and onion rings! (NOW those were AWESOME!!!!) ...still thinking Funnel cakes too...woo hoo!
EmBee

No comments:

Post a Comment