Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fall Food!

Okay so now that the news says the weather is going to be cooler I am in the mood for fall foods!!! The menus seem to be so much easier to plan in the fall... Chili, Potato soup, Veggie soup, chicken pies, pumpkin everything, and APPLE FRITTERS (that is what is pictured here, though I was told the picture doesn't do it justice and it resembles something from a coroners table...hahahahahaha) and Pork steaks! Endless opportunities. Today I had BOTH... Pork steaks and Apple Fritters....YUMMMMM. .
The apple fritters were an afterthought, but since I still have in my possesion a certain deep fat fryer, Hey why not. I was searching for a recipe, for the type of apple fritter you find in Amish Country...like a big bear claw / doughnut type. I found the recipe for something that is almost the same, but even better with my own apple cider glaze. Butter, powdered sugar, Apple Cider....UMMMM . The only thing is they turn out a bit bumpier....hahahahaha. Maybe I should add this to my "options" for sale. (Pumpkin rolls have been a big seller the past two years). Needless to say I will be making these again along with many other apple recipes since in my quest for fall goodies I have a bushel of Macintosh apples headed my way....Apple sauce, apple jack, apple pie and of course more apple fritters!!

My other food inspiration was based on the current sale at our local Harris Teeter...PORK STEAKS!! They are cheap this week! My mother really makes the best pork steaks, they are a two day process but sooooo worth it, However I didn't plan ahead enough to follow her process...But I did come up with a shortcut version of my own... It got rave reviews from the kids and that says ALOT! What did I do??? Well if you really want to know...step 1...Rub meat with seasoning ( I cheated and used a pork blend already mixed from the store)...Step 2 ...dip in half and half and egg, then into breadcrumbs mixed with just a little flour. 3. Let sit for one hour...this keeps the breading from falling off in the next step. 4. Fry till each side is golden brown, but not cooked all the way, Step 5 ...finish off in the oven 350 deg. until registers 165 deg. (about 45 min)... Serve with the classic green bean casserole and sweet potatoes...Comfort FOOD!
Next up Krispy Kreme knock off doughnuts and at my youngest request...fried cheese sticks. Of course I am going to make a couple more rounds of apple fritters and put them in the freezer ! Now time to put my feet up and wait for my guys to get home from auditions at our community theatre ... what ?? Me audition?... I would love too, but I am taking a small season off to play in the kitchen...hahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment