Monday, August 8, 2011

Not your Nachos and Noodles!

The last few weeks have been such a whirlwind in my home. I have just finished helping at my daughters Youth Summer Drama camp on top of trying to balance regular household duties, keep up with committees, church events, homeschool planning....well you catch my drift I am sure. Then to top off all the fun, I ended up getting the S word (okay behave, I mean SICK...blah!). Usually as you know my kitchen is a place that I love to be, but when I am overly stressed out or super super tired, the last place I want to visit is the room that requires me to put forth some effort. So this week two of our favorite super fast, super simple meals came in to play. Weds we made the above super easy Nachos...it literally takes 15 minutes to assemble and broil up enough for the army that lives here. I came across the recipe some years ago and of course have put my own EmBee spin on it ..hahaha... . So I will share with you, it DOES contain a few processed foods and is not skimpy on calories, I'm just saying. Cover a cookie sheet or baking pan with foil (option, but hey who wants to wash those dishes!) Spread out a layer of your favorite tortilla chip, Spread on Chili no beans and Refried beans (mixed together) Top off with Sharp Cheddar Cheese and broil till the cheese is melted and bubbly! Now some people would stop right there and you know that would be perfectly fine, but in my honest opinion, adding sour cream and fresh tomatoes and shredded lettuce helps make it complete meal. (We can't have any guilty feelings lingering because we didn't give the kids veggies...no no no) See what I mean SUPER FAST!
Now fast forward, past camp, past a VERY difficult weekend and onto the "sick" part. I stood in front of my cupboard staring...Hmmmm what can I make to feed this family out of Alfredo sauce, pickles and Cereal??? EWWWW...hahahaha. I did remember a few green peppers were in the fridge from my very rebellious garden and Kielbasa in the freezer...HEY now! Another super fast meal!!! I learned this one from my older cousin many years ago. Cabbage and noodles!!! What?? does it have an EmBee spin? ...Of COURSE! Stir fry Kielbasa (the added EmBee flair) and onion and pepper together ...added cabbage cut in long strips, steam till tender!!...meanwhile boil up a bag of egg noodles...toss all together with LOTS (let me stress this LOTS ) of butter and pepper!!
See, It does look tasty...Okay maybe not look tasty but, it is so good! (if you like cabbage) Now it is time to slow down, do a reality check and set a few things down for a while, so my family doesn't find me bouncing off walls or weeping uncontrollably over styrofoam peanuts in the living room (yes that has happened, just not today...hahahaa) I'll save that story for another blog someday, maybe even tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment