Friday, July 15, 2011

Its the Rhubarbs Fault!


Do I get distracted?? Why never (nodding head...YES ). Today is a fine example. Upon waking this morning I full expected to tackle all those chores that are still lurking. Clothes that should be put away, bills to be paid, vacuuming to be done....the non ending list of housewifely duties. Distraction 1 : A beautiful morning to sit on the deck with my mom enjoying a pancake breakfast and just chatting. I mean really we haven't talked all week..Hahahahahaha (18 hours of constant driving together just doesn't count...REALLY).

I did start on my list with an intent to accomplish it, Okay well at least part of it. I was well on my way until I ran out to the garden to gather the produce that was waiting for my attention. It was then and there I decided the rhubarb needed to be picked TODAY. (enter in Distraction 2) Of course you can not take a pile of rhubarb into a newly cleaned up kitchen without cleaning it up and chopping it to get it ready for the moment when the inspiration to bake a pie would hit me. Which happened to be within moments of chopping up those stems of tart vegetable. (Who am I kidding? I felt it creeping up as soon as I spied the rhubarb that should be picked..LOL).

Well what a PERFECT moment to pull out my 1955 cookbook I found on my trip to Ohio. ( I have been anxious to dive into the old fashion recipes that lurk in those pages.) Checking my cupboards to see what ingredients I had on hand, knowing a homemade crust was waiting to be filled I flipped to the index, excited to see a long list of recipes for rhubarb. Why of course there would be, rhubarb was popular back then!!! I came across a fairly simple but delectable sounding dessert.....Rhubarb Meringue Pie.

I was a bit anxious as I started the preparation, I mean this was ALL of my yummy rhubarb I was subjecting to this untried recipe...A recipe that hadn't been used in well over 50 years (smile). Rhubarb, sugar, lemon, flour, eggs and a 4 step process that was topped off with meringue (perfectly fluffed by the best kitchen assistant EVER..my stand mixer)...FAIL proof (I hoped). Then it had to be subjected to my ever faithful but quite quirky 1980 ish JennAir range and oven. The oven that drives one of my very dear friends to insanity as it can make a peach cobbler with a raw center and crusty edges . (hahahaha) Not to mention the cookies that come out and satisfy both the cookie dough lovers and crispy cookie lovers in our household. Well I popped the pie into the oven, to brown up the meringue, while I licked the pan ....OH YUMMMMY! The pie survive the experience and browned just as it should.

If the chilled product turns out as yummy as the remnants left in the pan I would call this an EPIC SUCCESS. Pencil note (not ink in my new collectible book) tried 7/15/2011 DELICIOUS!
Now I am curious as to what the next experiment will be. All I can say is that today...Its the Rhubarbs fault!






No comments:

Post a Comment